Sunday, March 19, 2017

dancing with heart problems (2)


Before I begin, I must say that I am writing this post based on my own experience. We may have different experiences and therefore different opinions. And most importantly, my tips may or my not work for you.  ;)

Having heart problems can be a burden especially when you're a dancer. For everybody, it is different, it can be more or less of a burden. Either way, there are many strategies that you can use to make it easier for yourself. Doing specific exercising, that can strengthen your heart (depending on the type of heart conditions you have) can truly benefit you, at least it was beneficial for me.
Many exercises could be very good for you, however some I found that I needed to stay away from.

Running
One exercise that I stayed away from was running. Running, though beneficial to the heart, is not beneficial to your knees. And as a dancer, I most certainly need my knees (haha). For me it was okay to go jogging once in a while, but definitely not 3+ times a week.

Heavy lifting
Anything that has to do with heavy lifting/pushing was something that I had to be careful of. It is not too bad to practice this, but it can put a lot of strain on your heart.

Bonus:
Your emotions can have an affect on your body. Don't stress yourself out.
If you precede to exercise, be sure to pace yourself and stay hydrated.
Most importantly, talk to your doctor about your heart condition and find out what exercise is good/bad for you. This is important, your doctor can let you know what activities are good for your heart.

I strongly recommend you checkout Dancing with heart problems part one, it is very helpful.


Leave a comment if you have anymore tips to add, or if you have feedback. We love feedback!

Lastly, follow our Instagram page! (@ballet.for.brains)
Ti auguro una buona giornata e stay blessed. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment