Tuesday, August 30, 2016

About us: Dancers

Who am I? Marina:
Hi, I'm a 16 year-old dancer, and you may find me as @marinaalexandreas on instagram.
For me, dance is a way of self-expression. When things aren't going well at school or I'm having a bad day, dance is my outlet. It's a way for me to let go of everything that happened during the day and be in the moment.

For me, this blog is about supporting each other. The dance community is extremely competitive, and although striving for perfection is something we all do, it shouldn't affect our relationship with other dancers. It is important to remember that we all have the same goals, wishes and heights that we want to reach, and some will get there faster than others. But at the end of the day, the dancer standing next to you in class, wants it just as much as you do. 
Apart from support, I would like this blog to be a place where dancers can come and share their thoughts and opinions, struggles and "weaknesses". Amanda and I aren't perfect, but we'll do as much as we can to help other dancers.
Now, about me: I'm a contemporary and jazz dancer (mainly), and I also take ballet classes to help with my technique. Last year (and this summer), I danced 5-6 times a week but now that school is getting more serious, I will only be spending 3 days a week at the studio - but I'll be there for 4 hours at a time XD.
I love any kind of music (classical is one of my favourites), but I'm not the biggest fan of rapping and Hip-hop music. That could be because of my lack of experience with it, but I find it harder to lose myself in that type of music.
                                 
Who am I? Amanda:
I am a 16 year old Ballet dancer living in the wonderful New York City. I am surrounded  by  many opportunities that I am extremely grateful for. 
I have always dreamt of using dance to support Cancer, heart disease, Autism, and the homeless.
  
I am a passionate, classical female as I enjoy classical dance, classical music, and classical instruments. I know, it's not often you find a 16 year old who listens to Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky on a daily basis. But I do, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

As you may know, Ballet is normally expressed through movement. Words can not express the beauty of Ballet in itself, that is why we dance it. However, I am lately feeling the urge to experiment and create a blog. This is where Marina and I can spill all of our thoughts, experiences, and tales of ballet.
Maybe this can help me become a better dancer. Better yet, maybe we can help out other dancers.
I would love to be 40 years old, looking back at this as I am remembering all the life changing events ballet has put me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment